Saturday 26 December 2009

Christmas without you

Ugh, Christmas Eve, that came around so fast.

I'm totally organised, my shopping is done, everything wrapped. You'd have been laughing at me, bringing me presents and telling me what a fantastic little organiser I am but you're not here. I'm alone and I can't sleep, Santa has been, alone, without his little helper this year.

Around 4am, unable to sleep I decide to open the gifts you bought. John gave them to me the week that you died, you bought them together but I haven't peeked. They have been safe in the bottom of your wardrobe. You always said you dreaded giving me gifts, I'm hopeless at receiving things and always appear ungrateful, it's because I'm embarrassed, I wish I'd explained to you. Opening them was bitter-sweet. They were beautiful by the way, as they always were. You always choose so perfectly, maybe I should have told you that more often.

I pull on the jacket you bought me and curl up and cry. The next thing I know a voice is calling my name. I wake up, on the sofa, it's you calling from the other room. I run to your bed, "Kath, tablets" you say and as you do you are looking right at me. You lay back, your breathing slows and you're gone, just like that. I can hear myself shouting "breathe, you have to breathe, I love you" the noise of my voice wakes me and then there is another noise. Little feet, "he's been, he's been!" It's Christmas, without you.

The day was ok, I think autopilot is the word. The children loved their gifts and dinner, with the help of my parents was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment